Monday, January 21, 2008

Are You My Mother



Eastman, P.D. 1960. Are you my mother. New York: Beginner Books.

This classic beginner book tells the story of a newly hatched baby bird who becomes separated from his mother before he even knows what she looks like. He has quite an adventure while trying to find her and learns a lot about his new world.

Using delightful pictures, simple vocabulary and repeating phrases, the well respected easy book has been used as a reader in many school for years. Somehow, I missed this particular book as a child. I added it to my repetoire and can see why it has retained its' popularity over the years. Children love animal stories and repeated phrases are a good way to get them involved in telling the story during a preschool story time.

For a story time with a "Mother" theme, I would pair this with other books such as Mothers Are Like That by Carol Carrick and/or Come Along Daisy by Jane Simmons.

No comments: